I am learning how to use ruby from the book, 'beginning ruby, novice to
pro...' The chapter on using ruby with sql requires that I install
sqlite3-ruby.

Using sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby, I got the following--

ERROR:  Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
checking for sqlite3.h... no
sqlite3.h is missing. Try 'port install sqlite3 +universal'
or 'yum install sqlite3-devel' and check your shared library search path
(the
location where your sqlite3 shared library is located).
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
  --with-opt-dir
  --without-opt-dir
  --with-opt-include
  --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
  --with-opt-lib
  --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
  --with-make-prog
  --without-make-prog
  --srcdir=.
  --curdir
  --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
  --with-sqlite3-dir
  --without-sqlite3-dir
  --with-sqlite3-include
  --without-sqlite3-include=${sqlite3-dir}/include
  --with-sqlite3-lib
  --without-sqlite3-lib=${sqlite3-dir}/lib

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-1.3.3
for inspection.
Results logged to
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-1.3.3/ext/sqlite3/gem_make.out

going into irb,

require 'rubygems'
=> true
require 'sqlite3'
no such file to load -- sqlite3 (LoadError)

What went wrong?

*my pc is on ubuntu 11.04. I checked synaptic package manager and see
that sqlite3 is installed.