--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 03:31:50AM +0900, Brian Candler wrote:
> dare ruby wrote in post #994834:
> >
> > I need to build a simple smtp server in ruby, based on Gserver, which
> > should support most mail clients and need to log the messages iam
> > receiving.
> >
> > Kindly any one suggest on this, on how to proceed.
>=20
> Sure:
>=20
> 1. Create a subclass of GServer
> 2. Implement SMTP in it(see RFC 2821)
> 3. Create an instance of your object and run it
>=20
> For an example of how to build a server with GServer, just read the
> gserver.rb file in the ruby standard library. But if you're building an
> SMTP server from scratch, I'm afraid there's no shortcut to
> understanding how SMTP works - so you need to read RFC 2821.
>=20
> I have to say this sounds like a homework question: otherwise, why
> would you say it has to be built on GServer?

Well . . . the querent *did* only ask for suggestions on "how to
proceed", rather than asking for code.  You answered that admirably.  If
it's a homework issue, it was asked properly and answered properly, so
far.  If the querent asks for code as a follow-up to your answer, though,
you might be justified in saying "go away, I won't do your homework for
you".

That's my take, anyway.

--=20

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1