Alessandro Barracco wrote in post #994230:
> Thanx you all. I'm beginning to understand a bit....
>
> These are the first 20 lines of the binary-block in the file:

Binary files aren't human readable, i.e. they look like nonsense.

> It consists of pairs of lines: the first is a code (always 1), the
> second is the data.

Do not think of binary files as containing lines.  A binary file is a
long continuous sequence of bytes.  And you have to know exactly what
each byte means to read the data.  For instance, you have to know that
the first 4 bytes is the count of banks in New York, and the next byte
is a letter, and the next 2 bytes is the year, and the next 2 bytes is
the month, etc.