On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Intransition <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it not be good enough to just reference
> an official online copy, and only include the minimum copyright notice
> required?

The web is ephemeral, and so are links. Hosting disappears (or moves
without a redirect), or gets disconnected (Hello, Amazon EC2! Are you
up yet?), and with it the license file.

A file that isn't very large to start with, so any savings would be
lost. And distribution happens in a compressed form, anyway (well,
most of the time).

Also: I doubt that lawyers agree with retroactive licensing, too, as
an easily updated license is the only benefit I can see from hosting
the license purely online.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,