Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:00381] history of ruby"
    on 99/06/03, "Michael Neumann" <neumann / s-direktnet.de> writes:

|matz, could you (or someone else) tell me when Ruby was developed, and perhaps
|something about the history or the name of Ruby.

Well, Ruby was born in Feb. 23 1993.  At that day, I was talking with
my colleague about the possibility of object-oriented scripting
language.  I knew Perl (Perl4, not Perl5), but I didn't like it
really, because it had smell of toy language (it still has).  The
object-oriented scripting language seemed very promising.

I knew Python then.  But I didn't like it, because I didn't think it
was a true object-oriented language.  OO features are appeared to be
add-on to the language.  I, as a language mania and OO fan for 15
years, really really wanted a genuine object-oriented, easy-to-use
object-oriented scripting language.  I looked for, but couldn't find
one.

So, I decided to make it.  It took several months to make the
interpreter run.  I put it the features I love to have in my language,
such as iterators, exception handling, garbage collection.

Then, I reorganized the features in Perl into class library, and
implemented them.  I posted Ruby 0.95 to the Japanese domestic
newsgroups in Dec. 1995.

Since then, mail lists are established, web pages are formed.  Highly
active discussion was held in the mail lists.  The oldest list
ruby-list has 14789 messages until now.

Ruby 1.0 was released in Dec. 1996, 1.1 in Aug. 1997, 1.2 (stable
version) and 1.3 (development version) were released in Dec. 1998.

Next stable version 1.4 will be shipped this months, hopefully.

|I am asking, because I'am going to write a short introduction into Ruby in german language.

Well, thank you.  The three guys really encouraged me in this list,
you, Pros, and Clemens, are all from Germany.  Is it just coincidence?

                                                matz.