On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Martin Hansen <mail / maasha.dk> wrote:
> Ruby I compiled and installed myself. Inline was installed: gem install RubyInline

I hesitate to suggest this, given that if you've compiled and
installed Ruby yourself you're probably well aware of the various
possibilities. But: does the extension have to be in C and does it
have to be the Ruby you've compiled and installed? If not, and you're
having problems getting the C extensions you want to work with Ruby,
have you considered using JRuby and Java? I've found the integration
of Java with JRuby to be fairly easy: I have had some problems, but
that's due to my ignorance, not JRuby or Java, and I've usually found
a way round my problem quickly. And using JRuby with Java for the bits
that need to be fast has had a similar speed to compiled FreePascal.