Lots of helpful information in this thread. Thank you all for helping me.

Since I am new to functional programming I am slowly experimenting with what
I know and building slowly from there. In the same fashion that object
oriented is no more than the sum of it's parts I am interested in learning
as much as I can about this paradigm.

I understand the concept of closure. I imagine the best use for it would be
to build one and embed it in another and so one( correct me if I'm wrong)

I have read and experimented with ruby's Proc#curry method. There is a
tutorial online which explains haskell's monads in ruby I plan on grokking
as well.

Are there any other facets of functional programming theory I should look at
to take advantage of?