On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Vincent Manis wrote:

> In reality, the more useful benefit of TCO comes when it's not a =
recursive procedure, but simply invoking another method, and thus using =
less stack. That leads, for example, to a very nice and clean way of =
writing state machines, for example.=20

This is the most compelling argument for me, especially regarding Ruby: =
modern
Ruby approaches emphasize heavy refactoring to small methods, and since =
nearly
everything else you do is a method call, I'm willing to bet TCO could =
kick in a fair
amount in the tail of those small methods. It might add up. But that's =
just my gut
instinct; I've never toyed with the TCO options.

Michael Edgar
adgar / carboni.ca
http://carboni.ca/=