On 16-Apr-2011, duke <sidney.reilley.ii / gmail.com> wrote:

> It executes OK, and the program output is correct, but I may be taking
> "the long way around". :) Thanks for your input.

You might find the following will make your life easier.

Uninstall ruby-compilation from ELPA (hit 'd' on it's line in
package-list-packages, then hit 'x').  Then, install the source for
ruby-compilation (from
https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/raw/master/util/ruby-compilation.el) in
your load path (somewhere in ~/.emacs.d for instance).  Next, add "(require
'ruby-compilation)" to ~/.emacs.  Finally, open up the ruby-compilation.el
file in your load path and add "(define-key map [return]
'comint-send-input)" to defvar ruby-compilation-minor-mode-map (for instance
at line 279).  The last part is required because for some reason
compilation-mode shadows the comint-send-input binding though it's not
immediately apparent where that is happening.

This gives you a couple advantages over installing it from ELPA.  C-x t will
invoke ruby-compilation-this-buffer whenever you are in ruby-mode, and now
hitting return/enter will invoke comint-send-input in the compilation
buffer.

By the way, you might find the following useful for learning and programming
Ruby in Emacs.  See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FlymakeRuby for automated
syntax checking.  Also, install the ruby-debug (or ruby-debug19 for Ruby
1.9) gem for Ruby debugging.  Take a look at
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/ruby-debug/rdebug-emacs.html for Emacs
integration of this debugger.