--4ZLFUWh1odzi/v6L

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:46:02AM +0900, Vincent Manis wrote:
> On 2011-04-13, at 08:29, andrew mcelroy wrote:
> >
> > I will have in released in the next week or so the beginnings of Try
> > Ruby offline.  It isn't geared towards professionals, but rather
> > beginners.  The idea is to put a repl + embedded ruby 1.9.2
> > interpreter into a simple to run executable for windows mac and
> > linux.
>
> This is a very worthwhile project, and I think it will be extremely
> useful.=20
>=20
> I would hesitate to call it an IDE, though, as from your description it
> doesn't appear to include any kind of editor. Thus while it's extremely
> useful for experimenting with Ruby (hence the name), it's not going to
> be ideal for helping newbies learn to write programs in Ruby.=20
>=20
> Is there any chance you might want to push this project a bit further
> and include a basic editor?=20

Include interactive_editor with a default editor on the system and it
suddenly has a text editor -- without having to bundle the text editor
with the Ruby package.  Even better, because the text editor is not tied
to the IDE except by way of interactive_editor, the user can swap out the
default editor for another.

--=20

--4ZLFUWh1odzi/v6L