On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Jim Maher <jdmaher / jdmaher.com> wrote:

> 2.  How to use Notepad as a program editor

Can Notepad do syntax highlighting? I think their editor / IDE should be
able to at least highlight code and if it could also run Ruby, that would be
fantastic. I really liked SciTE. It highlighted the code, it had lines
indicating starting and closing of indentation (newbies need encouragement
to format their code well), and you could run it by pressing f5. I think it
is good to give them something simple enough to understand, yet something
clearly uniquely tailored to writing code (it is simply "cooler", which
makes it more motivating and helps to create an experience).