On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Stu <stu / rubyprogrammer.net> wrote:
> For what it's worth I have been using interactive_editor gem in irb for a
> bit now. It allows me to open nvi or vim within irb and also supports other
> cli editors( emacs, pico/nano, and even ed for those still <3 the original
> unix line editor)

CLI editors are great -- for advanced users.

But the vast majority of people are used to WIMP interfaces, and
that's who should be targeted. vim and EMACS are nice editors, but
they overwhelm non-technically-trained people far too soon.

(How do you generate a random string? Sit down a new student in front
of a vim session.)

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,