On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Vincent Manis <vmanis / telus.net> wrote:

> This does bring up an issue. I would like to see www.ruby-lang.org have a=
 page
> `Totally new to programming', with appropriate resources; this page would=
 be
> prominently linked to on the front page.
> It would have a paragraph or so on what Ruby is, along with what the inst=
allers do,
> along with a few resources that would help a total beginner get started.
> I can visualize many interactions like this.
>
> =A0A: You're a programmer, can you tell me how I can learn programming?
> =A0B: Try Ruby, it's a great way of getting started.
> =A0A: What do I do?
> =A0B: Well, go to www.ruby-lang.org, and they have all the information yo=
u need.

Been there, done that, had to recommend books to go with my recommendation.

> When I used to do software engineering training for a company I used to w=
ork for, one of the
> more popular courses I ran was called `Programming for Non-Programmers', =
aimed at giving
>  people exactly that framework. A lot of beginners get stuck there, and c=
an't easily move
>  forward without a bit of help.

Considering you have educational expertise, how would you go about this?

I don't think that a link to Chris Pine's Learn to Program
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/ is sufficient.

Considering the target audience (non-programmers with slight, if any,
technical background running Windows of some sort), there's a a lot of
stuff that needs to be included:

- Ruby (obviously)
- text editor (simple enough to be easily learned, malleable enough
that it could be customized for a Beginner's Ruby package)
- guide to programming*
- guide to Ruby*

The problem I've run into is that I can't write a programming guide
worth a damn. Mostly, because I have no idea where to begin to be
thorough enough that a newby can do simple stuff, and yet is able to
find out what else to learn going forward. And I don't want to rip off
Chris Pine's excellent work. ;)

* _why's Poignant Guide doesn't cut it. It's far too eccentric for
most people (not to mention that it is outdated). Neither does
Programming Ruby, since it's a guide by programmers for programmers,
and the free version that was donated to the community is outdated as
well (by 2 generations now!).

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,