Fily Salas wrote in post #992154:
> Hi,
>
> I have a desk-top application that I created using Actionscript 3.0 and> AIR, nothing fancy it just basically calculates the quantity of
> rectangular parts that can fit in a bigger rectangular part based on the
> users input, the thing  is that it ALSO dynamically creates the actual
> rectangles and show them on the screen based on the same factors and I
> was wondering if this is something I can create with Ruby and may be
> FXRuby, I do understand that Ruby is not meant for big application

The creators of the application Ruby on Rails would disagree with you.

> but
> for something like this I think it would be nice to give it try since I> want to start working more with Ruby and this would be the perfect time> since I need to update the application.

Then go for it.

> I guess my question is what do I need to create full applications
> because I have no doubt that it can be done with Ruby I just need to
> know what tools do I need to create it?
>
> What GUI can dynamically create objects?

All of them.  You might want to check out Shoes, which is a simplistic gui toolkit that is easy to learn.  See here:

http://shoesrb.com/manual/Art.html

>  I currently have FXRuby installed in my machine and I also bought the
> book but when I go to their website it looks outdated and Im wondering
> if it would be worth it to learn it or is it even the right tool to
> create the application Im describing (see screen-shot).
>
> Just to give you an idea in the attached screen shot Im calculating how
> many times I can fit a 15x2 part into a 60x120
>
> Thanks

I prefer wxRuby for gui applications, although drawing shapes is a little more involved than with Shoes.