7stud -- wrote in post #992150:
> 1) Add the directory containing the file you want to require() to the
> directories that are searched by default:
>
> $LOAD_PATH << "/some_dir/sub_dir/my_ruby_programs/"

$LOAD_PATH is an array, and the << is like calling push() on an
array--for instance:

arr.push(additional_element)

The result is that the $LOAD_PATH array will contain an additional
string, which is the name of the directory you want to add.  However,
the $LOAD_PATH array will be changed only for the duration of your
program; when you run another program, the $LOAD_PATH array will be
reconstructed with the default directories plus whatever directory is
the current directory.