Thanks for Your help,

> prog.rb:2:in `<main>': undefined method `to_yaml' for "alex":String

strange, but maybe there are the "require 'yaml'" statement missing?

> To encode all strings in your source file in UTF-8, put this line at the
> top of your program:

> # encoding: utf-8

Yes, I heard of this, You can also use this shortcut to do that:

  export RUBYOPT="-Ku -rrubygems"

>  A round trip through yaml works for UTF-8 encoded strings in ruby 1.8.7.

>  In the program below, my original string contains a euro symbol, and
>  after a roundtrip through yaml, I get the same string back.

Sorry, I don't understand it, You shown that the cryptic output of YAML
can be loaded back to normal object.
But in my situation it's not enough, I need not ony load it back later
but it also should be readable in it's marshalled form.

I need to modify thouse *.yaml configs by hand, so those cryptic stuff
like "\xE2\x82\xAC" in *.yaml files is unacceptable.