Lyle Johnson graced us by uttering:
>> Next time, do your homework in advance.
>
> Good grief, guys, back off! He didn't ask anyone to write his research
> paper for him, he's just asking some questions. There was a similar
> post just yesterday (subject "ruby language capabilities"), the
> primary difference being that the author didn't start out saying "I'm
> working on an assignment...".

In my case, the primary offense was the implication that, like
JavaScript, VBScript, Perl and Python: every language strives to be a
client-side browser scripting language. If it wasn't an implication,
then it showed a certain ignorance to not only Ruby, but to programming
in general.

Hindsight discovers that I over-reacted, and I apologize for that.

To answer a question in another sub-thread: No. Asking on newsgroups
is _not_ what I consider "doing your homework." This information is
available either in the NG archives <http://groups.google.com/>,
in the online docs (`man ruby`), or in books online
<http://www.rubycentral.com/book/>.

The OP would do well to read
<http://www.rubycentral.com/book/foreword.html> and
<http://www.rubycentral.com/book/preface.html>.

I would also hope that the OP has already read
<http://www.rubycentral.com/faq/rubyfaq.html>

> Let's make an effort to stay polite on this newsgroup as long as we
> can. If you've hung out on comp.lang.python lately you'll know what
> I'm talking about :(

I'm not sure I understand that comment, but c.l.py is a _very_ polite
newsgroup. I frequent it daily. ...at least compared with a few others;
notably: c.l.perl and c.l.smalltalk.

Many people, including Matz himself, have already answered many of
these questions.  It's all very well and good to aspire to be kind and
gentle indefinitely, especially when even c.l.py seems to be getting so
impatient, but one can only regurgitate the same information so many
times before it becomes annoying and subsequently infuriated. (eg: the
purpose of _creating_ and FAQ.)

On that note, while terse, I know for a fact I did not yell as I have my
CAPS LOCK key disabled. ;)

HAND,
Tim Hammerquist
--
Down *every* path lies madness, if you're talking about documentation.
    -- Larry Wall in <200002081801.KAA00141 / kiev.wall.org>