> On 3 Apr 2011, at 08:48, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Mike Stephens <rubfor / recitel.net> wrote:
>>
>>> But the other point is why does everybody make languages so difficult
>>> these days? I have a degree in Physics but couldn't face trying to
>>> unravel F# or Haskell. Don't tell me trying to fathom out complex
>>> recursive functions is a good way to spend your day.
>>
>> Argument from authority. That you have a physics degree doesn't make
>> you a programmer. Nor does it make you particularly smart nor stupid,
>> or gives you the mindset a programmer should have. It makes you a
>> physicist, nothing more. That's kind of like saying that a bookkeeper
>> is a programmer because (s)he uses spreadsheets.

Argument by authority is not an absolute fallacy and would only apply if he was using that authority to overrule any other view than his, and regardless, the point being made was by comparison/contrast. Having studied physics at that level does show a certain ability in concentration, mathematics, and abstract thought, and would (hopefully) mean that you'd be able to pick up things in fields where those abilities are useful.

I liked using Haskell for a while, and I found producing code that looked beautiful and dealt with things that were (usually) hard in other languages was easy. Getting it to do anything easy was (sometimes) very difficult though.

YMMV, I dropped out of my physics degree (partially) because it was too difficult :)

And I like recursion! (Though Ruby's recursion too often fails me to bother with it for anything that shouldn't fail*)

Regards,
Iain

* which is almost everything