> On 3 Apr 2011, at 08:48, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Mike Stephens <rubfor / recitel.net> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> But the other point is why does everybody make languages so =
difficult
>>> these days? I have a degree in Physics but couldn't face trying to
>>> unravel F# or Haskell. Don't tell me trying to fathom out complex
>>> recursive functions is a good way to spend your day.
>>=20
>> Argument from authority. That you have a physics degree doesn't make
>> you a programmer. Nor does it make you particularly smart nor stupid,
>> or gives you the mindset a programmer should have. It makes you a
>> physicist, nothing more. That's kind of like saying that a bookkeeper
>> is a programmer because (s)he uses spreadsheets.

Argument by authority is not an absolute fallacy and would only apply if =
he was using that authority to overrule any other view than his, and =
regardless, the point being made was by comparison/contrast. Having =
studied physics at that level does show a certain ability in =
concentration, mathematics, and abstract thought, and would (hopefully) =
mean that you'd be able to pick up things in fields where those =
abilities are useful.

I liked using Haskell for a while, and I found producing code that =
looked beautiful and dealt with things that were (usually) hard in other =
languages was easy. Getting it to do anything easy was (sometimes) very =
difficult though.

YMMV, I dropped out of my physics degree (partially) because it was too =
difficult :)

And I like recursion! (Though Ruby's recursion too often fails me to =
bother with it for anything that shouldn't fail*)

Regards,
Iain

* which is almost everything