> But, as I have said, I have seen some absolutely
> amazing things doen with spreadsheets.

I've seen some absolutely amazing things done with befunge!  Networked
programs, even.  Which is more than excel can do.

However, I think it would be reasonable for people to disagree with me,
if I were to insist on a public forum that befunge is somehow
preferable to the entire imperative school of programming languages.

> When people come from other programming disciplines, comparison of
> modalities and techniques are usually helpful, but fanboy expressions
> of "mine is bigger and/or better than yours" are not.

Since I am completely awesome*, I offered to attempt dissect a
piece of functional code for him, if he would provide one.  This would
definitely involve a comparison of techniques.  We may both learn
something!

* Due to the lack evidence or attention to detail in your post, I feel
  confident asserting my awesomeness without any display of rigour,
  evidence or logic.