On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Phillip Gawlowski
<cmdjackryan / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Everett L Williams II
> <rett / classicnet.net> wrote:
>>
>> *And, of course, since we were talking about making a practical decision
>> about which tool to use, performance cannot possibly matter. There is also
>> this overriding compulsion amongst coders to produce the most abbreviated
>> code possible, assuming that such demonstrates their special skills and that
>> such code is the most desirable. Any study of algorithmic efficiency will
>> show clearly that the shortest code is almost never the fastest code,
>> especially in unoptimized code.*

I'm not sure how you want to prove that given that the number of
algorithms is potentially unlimited, but anyway: the discussion has
digressed so far from the original topic that I don't find it useful
to dive further.  I also wonder what you are trying to accomplish by
suggesting that most people here strive for shortest code over fast or
even correct code.  I don't think this is the case - at all.

>> About 50% of the real newbies to programming who come on this site with a
>> complex project that requires unstable parts of the Ruby pantheon, should be
>> told to use another tool, one that is simpler, more mature, and that does a
>> better job of handholding, but people who spend most of their time on Ruby
>> tend to think with their hammer, so to speak, or maybe, they don't really
>> know anything else.
>
> Take a look at the archives of ruby-talk, then. You'll be surprised.

I disagree as well.  Everett, you'll find plenty of postings

- suggesting a different tool,
- showing that the poster is fluent in at other languages.

in here.  In fact, discussions comparing features of Ruby with other
programming languages' features (boy, did I get the plural right?) and
how one or the other can be better utilized to solve a given problem
are among the most interesting and insightful ones.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/