Personally, I think that if Python had succeeded in it's aim, then I'd
be using it. The problem is that it has conceptions about where things
should be kept that only make sense to Python programmers.

In Ruby most file operations are in the File class. Those that aren't
should be found in the FileUtils class. Directories: try the Dir class.
That makes sense to me. Not scattered around Os, Sys, Shutils, Fnutils
and so on.

Python has a great philosophy but to a beginner can seem a bit of a
mess. No offence intended. That's just my view.