Josh Cheek wrote in post #990579:
> is this really something you'd want to do for anything other than an
> exercise?

Excel is somewhat incidental to this discussion. It is not like
functional languages people normally think of. What I was saying is it
is interesting to think of new algorithms/patterns.

However, since you ask: Excel is by far the World's most widely used
programming language. We recently had someone on this channel asking how
to build an application to compare performance of schools. Something
like Rails is a huge jump for a newby. Leveraging Excel knowledge could
make this kind of thing so much more accessible.

But the other point is why does everybody make languages so difficult
these days? I have a degree in Physics but couldn't face trying to
unravel F# or Haskell. Don't tell me trying to fathom out complex
recursive functions is a good way to spend your day.

Of course, you have to encourage people to invent Lambda Calculus and
then turn it into a computing language but such university thesis ideas
shouldn't be seen as the model for real world products.