From: L=E1szl=F3 F=F6ldes <foldes.laszlo2 / gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tk and Tile with Tk8.5
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 06:38:47 +0900
> > Please check the result of 'ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"'.
> > If it shows 8.4.x, your tcltklib.so uses libraries of Tcl/Tk8.4.
> >
> And indeed it is:
> $ ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"
> "8.4.19"

Are there tk-tile package for Tcl/Tk8.4 on Ubuntu 10.10 ?
If it exists, please try to install the package.

> > or re-compile your ruby's tcltklib.so with Tcl/Tk8.5.
> =

> Back to the "I'm not a source code compiler type", can you give me so=
me =

> hint, how to do this? (not the 'make install' entry, but can it be =

> independently recompiled from source or only together with other file=
s =

> or I need to recompile the whole Ruby package. And most importantly, =

> what are the parameters that make it link to Tk8.5?)

First of all, I'm not familiar with Debian packages.
So, I can't tell you how to create your own Ruby/Tk package with Tcl/Tk=
8.5.

In general, extconf.rb of tcltklib (<ruby-src-dir>/ext/tk/extconf.rb)
searches automatically the latest version of Tcl/Tk on the system.
If you are luky ;-), you'll be able to make a new ruby by =

"cd <ruby-src-dir>; ./configure; make". =

# Of course, it requires Tcl/Tk dev packages.

Please check the messages of make steps.
tcltklib's extconf.rb shows the status of searching Tcl/Tk libraries.
If it shows fail messages, you must give configure options.
Please see <ruby-src-dir/ext/tk/README.tcltklib. It describes
configure options to teach position of Tcl/Tk libs to extconf.rb.
Although there are many combinations of options to match several env, =

please try to give --with-tclConfig-file=3D<path of tclConfig.sh> and =

--with-tkConfig-file=3D<path of tkConfig.sh> at first.

If you have some trouble, please tell me the fail messages and the
position of your Tcl/Tk headers and libraries.

> I tried to replace tcltklib.so with your =

> tcltklib.so-tk8.5.7-ruby192dev_20100313rev26900_i686-linux but that .=
so =

> introduced other unsatisfied dependencies (like libstdc++.so.5)

Sorry. It was compiled on an old environment (gcc-3.3).
Even if it is available, I don't recommnd partial replace of package fi=
les.
It may break the package management system.
-- =

Department of Artificial Intelligence, Kyushu Institute of Technology