> Please check the result of 'ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"'.
> If it shows 8.4.x, your tcltklib.so uses libraries of Tcl/Tk8.4.

And indeed it is:
$ ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"
"8.4.19"

> or re-compile your ruby's tcltklib.so with Tcl/Tk8.5.

Back to the "I'm not a source code compiler type", can you give me some
hint, how to do this? (not the 'make install' entry, but can it be
independently recompiled from source or only together with other files
or I need to recompile the whole Ruby package. And most importantly,
what are the parameters that make it link to Tk8.5?)

Thanks

I tried to replace tcltklib.so with your
tcltklib.so-tk8.5.7-ruby192dev_20100313rev26900_i686-linux but that .so
introduced other unsatisfied dependencies (like libstdc++.so.5)