On 02/04/11 24:12 , Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2011, at 06:18 , Vassilis Rizopoulos wrote:
>
>> Excellent work as always Ryan.
>> One thing:
>> rake package (and by extension rake install_gem, rake release) does not respect the Manifest.txt when it comes to the test/ directory.
>> All test_* files are included in the gem wether or not they are specified in Manifest.txt
>>
>> This is a bit counterintuitive. It might be my personal way, but I have a bunch of tests for functionality that I do not yet want in the gem. This kinda throws a wrench in the works.
> Huh. I'd never seen that before, nor thought about it. That's really not a use-case I want to support. Good projects include their tests so users have access to them and that is encouraged by Hoe (although, admittedly, inadvertently on Hoe's part).
>
> Why do you want to exclude some of your tests?
Well, the same way I want to exclude some of the files from the library
: they're not ready for release yet.
If I don't release some of the features I'm working on then I don't want
the accompanying tests in the gem as well.
The explicit manifest gives me that choice and as you well know someone
will find a use case you haven't thought about :)

The thing is, this behaviour is inconsistent with the idea of the
manifest, where you explicitly define what goes in the gem and what
not.  I get to choose which files belong to the library but not which tests?

I mean, I can rename those tests to something other than test_* and they
will be left out, but that also means that 'rake test' won't work for
developing these tests while the funtionality they support is not released.

What bothers me the most is the deviation from the 'no surprises' path:
Hoe explicitly supports the Manifest idea but breaks it for test/test_*
files. From my point of view, it has to be consistent or documented with
bold letters.

 From the Hoe.pdf, under the heading Manifest.txt
"Every project should know what it is shipping. This is done via an
explicit list of everything that goes out in a release. Hoe uses this
during packaging so that nothing embarrassing is picked up."

Thing is I never would have picked this up if I wasn't preparing the gem
for GemTesters, so bonus points to GemTesters.

Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.ampelofilosofies.gr