Sorry, don't know your name. You're just appearing as 'guest'. Are you
sure it's a good idea to have globals in block variables? I've been
continuing to play and the following seems to be what I'm after. Sadly
nothing prints out and the program exits.

def search_for_film
  print "Enter name of film to search for: "
  film = gets.chomp.downcase

  results = @films.grep(/film/)
  if results
    print results
  elsif results.empty?
    puts "Nothing found."
  else
    menu

Here is irb demonstrating that it *should* work!

irb(main):009:0> films = ['the mummy', 'the mummy returns', 'the mummy
7', 'the daddy']
=> ["the mummy", "the mummy returns", "the mummy 7", "the daddy"]
irb(main):010:0> films.grep(/mummy/)
=> ["the mummy", "the mummy returns", "the mummy 7"]
irb(main):011:0>