On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 12:59, ts wrote:

> S> Ah, I see.  ^,^  So, then, is this a "security bug" in Ruby, or by
>
>  not a security bug

Well, if you cannot operate on the object normally, and eval() does let
you operate on it, then does that not circumvent the protection scheme,
which is a "security bug."  (Note the quotes.)

> S> design that eval() can operate on 'objects' when normal signals/methods
>
>  well, eval is evil :-))

I know that already.  ^,^

> S> can't?  Also, if variables a special case of object, should there not be
>
>  well for me a variables is not a special case of object.
>
> S> a special operator for working on them; something similar to the
> S> "dereference" operator in C/C++ or the like.
>
>  attr_accessor ?

In the context of Ian McDonald's question - you have a reference of an
instance variable, but you want the value from that reference.
attr_accessor doesn't help in that case (that I can think of), does it?