--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:30:07PM +0900, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Chad Perrin <code / apotheon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, I'm sure it does -- but Excel is not a programming language, so
> > I'm not sure it's meaningful to say that Excel's features as a
> > functional programming language provide any parallelism benefits.
>=20
> Not a Turing-complete language, anyway.
>=20
> It's basically a(n econ) math and statistics library lacking a decent
> programming language.

I don't think it really qualifies as a language at all.  It's more like
an extensible set of cupboards with (non-graphing) calculators from the
early '90s built into them.

> > That pretty much amounts to utilizing a minimal subset of the
> > capabilities of a proper DBMS plus some code that maps to the
> > contents of a DB table -- or, in DBMSes, plus some stored procedures
> > (or stored functions, or whatever). =A0Is there something I'm missing?
>=20
> Authentication and authorization, and table/row/cell locking.

Err . . . are you saying this is some kind of feature Excel has and
DBMSes that do stored functions/procedures, like PostgreSQL and Oracle,
do not?

--=20

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8