Mike Papper wrote in post #989708:
> On the RHEL4 based machines (with openssl of 0.9.7 OR 0.9.8) I get one
> of these 2 errors 9whereas the same code on CentOS works):
>
> 1) cacerts loading failed
> at depth 1 - 20: unable to get local issuer certificate

This means it can't find a root certificate with which to verify the
site certificate.

To start with, forget about ruby. Make it verify using the openssl
command line tool:

openssl s_client -connect my.server.name:443   # should not verify

openssl s_client -connect my.server.name:443 -CApath /path/to/certs

where /path/to/certs is whatever directory contains your collection of
root certificates; I don't know what it is for RHEL4, but googling
suggests this:

http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/63476-ca-files-ssl-where.html

When you get "verify return code 0" then you know everything is working.

Then you just need to pass the correct option to ruby so it can find the
CA directory. For example, with Net::HTTP it would be
:ca_path=>"/path/to/certs"