Awesome, thanks for the tips.  Actually the white space was I accidently
added added when I manually changed from the orginal (which was too long
to post)... then I ran the modified I noticed it didn't work (without
regular expressions).

I did find one shortcut, by adding .split to the end of the string saved
a few lines...  Also, its something I couldn't have done in Perl!
Although in perl I could have created the array with @array = split(',',
"item1,item2")

Anyway, I'm sold! Lovin ruby.

globalcampaigns = "item1,item2,item3,item4,item5".split(",")
premiercampaigns = "item1,item2".split(",")
basiccampaigns = "item3,item4".split(",")

combo = premiercampaigns | basiccampaigns
diff = globalcampaigns - combo

diff.each {|elt| puts elt}