On 25 Mar 2011, at 18:44, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2011, at 8:19, Iain Barnett <iainspeed / gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> conftest.c: In function ┴Ň
>> conftest.c:7: error: too few arguments to function ┴═ibiconv_open>> checked program was:
>> /* begin */
>> 1: #include "ruby.h"
>> 2:
>> 3: #include </Library/Frameworks/Libiconv.framework/Versions/1.13.1/include/iconv.h>
>> 4:
>> 5: /*top*/
>> 6: int main() {return 0;}
>> 7: int t() { iconv_open(); return 0; }
>> /* end */
>
> The error is here and is pretty clear whether it were C or ruby. It failed because it wasn't called with the right number of args.

It's one thing to be able to read it, it's another thing to understand, which I why I said I didn't really understand what I was looking at. Since I don't use C and this is the first time I've used the mkmf library I was hoping for a hint at *why* this came out the way it did.

 I was calling the arguments the way the nokogiri gem does in order to try and fix a problem I'm having with it.

In the meantime I've found that using `find_library` brought back more positive results.

Regards,