On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:34:35AM +0900, Chris wrote:
> In article <20020410202747.GA14707 / raquel.radiac.mine.nu>,
>  Patrik Sundberg <ps / radiac.mine.nu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a posting by Luigi Ballabio about Ruby bindings for QuantLib I got
> > curious about if more people are using ruby for financial tasks. Are there any
> > finance-related ruby libraries etc?
> >
> > I would like an equal to perls Finance::Quotes for example. I think ruby could
> > be a very good tool for financial models and quantitative finance in general.
> > Any other finance interested ruby-programmers out there?
>
> It's kind of funny that I just mentioned Eiffel in another post.  As I
> understand it, Eiffel is quite popular among European financial
> institutions, and coming from Ruby, I don't think it'd be that hard to
> learn, unless you really don't like statically-typed languages.

i'm fine with most languages, but i think ruby have some advantages. things i
don't know squat about though is exactly what type of computing power is used
by various mathematical finance models, how large datasets one uses and so on.
i would be interested to know if ruby performance wise would be up to the
task.

even if pure ruby simulations etc wouldn't be realistic i think using ruby as
a kind of 'UI' for other stuff like QuantLib would have some rather nice
effects.

--
Patrik Sundberg    Address: Rydsv?gen 100C, 584 31 Link?ping, Sweden       |