Fily Salas wrote in post #988710:
> Wow! nice, was it done all in Ruby? What did you use as GUI, FXRuby,
> Shoes etc...?
>
> Thank a lot!

hi fily,

  thanks - yep, all done in ruby (i don't know anything else!)  i use
gnome2 for the GUI - it's well documented, stable, in active development
and provides a native look to the widgets - and gstreamer for the audio.
you can check out gnome2 here: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/ ...
there's also a subsection of this forum dedicated to gnome2 which is
extremely helpful.

  i only started playing around with ruby about a year ago, and i
couldn't agree more with greg, that the best way to learn is to start
coding something that interests you.  i'm no kind of programmer
whatsoever, but i love music, have a huge music collection, and haven't
been satisfied with any audio players i've found - so i decided to write
my own.  the thing started out quite simple - in fact it took me a while
just to figure out how to make sound come out of the speakers! - but
greg's point is a good one - if you've got a goal in mind, it makes
reading all the tutorials and forum advice make sense, as you filter it
for your own needs and put it into practice.  after managing to make
some sounds, it was a step by step process getting things the way i
wanted them.  the player now changes the "picture-disc" with each track,
the tone-arm moves with the song progress, and functions as a seek bar -
i've got a playlist and file selection dialog, drag and drop file and
directory entry....  etc.etc.etc.
  i've still got a lot of things i want to add (equalizer, spectrum
analyzer, etc.) but it basically functions well at this point.  got some
more wrinkles to iron out and i'll be posting the first version on
ruby-forge with a link here on the forum, so you can get an idea of
where a year of fiddling around got me...

  happy coding!

  -j