On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Fily Salas <fs_tigre / hotmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like I was at first thinking about programming as programs with
> GUI and never thought about scripting.

Well, depending on your personal pain-threshold, there's several Ruby
GUI libraries. Easiest to start with would probably be Ruby-GNOME on a
GNOME desktop Linux (like Ubuntu). There are also Windows variants of
the major GUI libraries, like Qt, or wxWidgets.

> Can you some how interact with programs like Word, Excel or any other
> known program or you need to have access to the core files, which of
> course is out of my reach?

You can access MS Office programs via OLE. Handily, Ruby has a
win32ole gem (or it's even part of the standard library, I forget),
which allows you to access Excel, Outlook, Word, anything that
supports OLE, really.

Here are some (outdated: They are mostly for Ruby 1.8.6, while 1.9.2
is the current version) guides to OLE with Ruby:

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,