Shadowfirebird wrote in post #987287:
>> Never done this in Ruby so there may be a better way.   But why not actually
use
> Soundex?
>
> Replying to myself and therefore proving I leap before I look.
>
> Implementations of Soundex, Metaphone and Double-metaphone in Ruby here:
> https://github.com/threedaymonk/text#readme
>
> Looks like you just 'gem install text', or similar.

Thanks shadowfirebird,

But I need to be able to have the generated soundex to be the same
regardless of the programming language used (this issue has just been
put upon me - Grrr) I know for a fact that PHP will be used so think the
best approach would be to use the built in MYSQL soundex.

I'm using sequel for the DB access so anyone know of a way to do this
from within that gem?

I'd like to do something like this...
(lost the url but the sample code was this...)

select soundex(hello)

result was I think H400 or something like that.

dave.