--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 07:38:56PM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 06:46:20PM +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:
> >=20
> > On Mar 18, 2011, at 02:18 , Chad Perrin wrote:
> >=20
> > > Even when I come off as arrogant and self-righteous, I am not an
> > > *asshole*;
> >=20
> > I was gonna let this thread go until you said that.
> >=20
> > Actually on _many_ occasions I've thought you were an asshole (and
> > I'm not the only one, believe me)... I've even called you out for it
> > on this very list. Despite that, I decided to respond to your mail
> > anyways... Go figure. So now you're an asshole AND a hypocrite. Oh,
> > and saying "thanks, asshole" is not exactly a form of gratitude (not
> > that I thought I'd get any from you (or wanted any for that matter)).
>=20
> Really?  Please direct me to where I was being an asshole.  If it's on
> this list, there should be a record of it somewhere on the Web.  I'm
> curious, and would like to know whether I actually did such a thing so
> I can perhaps avoid it in the future.  I frankly do not remember you
> ever talking to me before this, though, so I'm a little skeptical of
> the claim that you've called me on being an asshole on this list
> before.  It must have been a long time ago.

Okay, never mind -- I found one instance where you called me an "ass".  I
pointed out to someone that his pointlessly hostile commentary on Perl
was unnecessary, and in so doing suggested that one of his comments might
be a "personal problem".  You took exception to that, though if that was
asshole-ish of me, it was so mildly asshole-ish that I strongly suspect
your real motivation was to support claims that Perl is stupid and should
die.  Given the circumstances, where my comment was only in response to
someone else being kind of borderline asshole-ish, I think my behavior
there was more akin to my behavior here (simply being a little impolite
in how I point out you're being an asshole) than like yours (actually
being an asshole who delights in slinging insults).  I suppose your
interpretation may vary, but from where I'm sitting my comment doesn't
look too hypocritical.

(link to archive of thread elided to protect the guilty)

Further searching for cases where both our names come up only yields
threads where, for instance, I offer a salient response to the originator
of a thread about Web development in Ruby without using Rails, and you
get called a troll for being an unpleasant asshole to people.

Like I said, though, I suppose your interperetation of my behavior might
be different than mine.  I accept that, in your opinion, I might have
been an asshole in the past.  I hope you accept that, as explained above,
the definition of "asshole" I used in this thread does not cover the
behavior in the discussion of Perl's mythic failings where you called me
an "ass" and asserted that Perl cannot be parsed.

I'm going to bed now, so if you have something else to say, I encourage
you to get the last word.

--=20

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--