> mingw is not bundled with either Ruby Windows installer, or the rubygems
> installer, making your entire point moot.  In order to build an
> extension via ruby gems, you have to:
>
> 1. install ruby
> 2. install ruby gems
> 3. install rubydevkit
> 4. execute a .bat or .ps1 file every single time you want to install or
> update a gem that needs to be compiled.

Get your facts right.

1. Installing Ruby via RubyInstaller also includes RubyGems.
2. Once you've installed the RubyInstaller DevKit you don't need to run
a .bat or .ps1 file every time you need to install or update a native
gem. The DevKit install process integrates with RubyGems by providing a
pre-install hook that temporarily brings the DevKit onto your PATH. If
you _want_ to use the DevKit toolchain outside of Ruby/RubyGems, by all
means have at it by taking advantage of the .bat/.ps1 helper scripts.

Glad you asked; there are very good reasons why the DevKit is not, nor
should be, bundled by default with the RubyInstaller. However, if you do
need/want the toolchain, it's fairly straightforward to integrate it.

> I'm not using Ruby for Windows development because the windows support
> is shit, not because I have to use the mingw toolchain.

Your call, but what specifically do you mean by "...the windows support
is shit...?"

Seems from your posts you aren't happy with issues regarding your choice
of toolchains, and you're not interested in understanding the tradeoffs
made and solutions implemented for MRI Ruby on Windows users.

And you've obviously not browsed through the Ruby/RubyGems source trees
to see how much Windows specific support has been built in, or the
number of bugfixes, etc.

Any you likely haven't investigated JRuby's Windows support.

Nor have you done the most basic of searches to discover the work by
many of the gem authors (Nokogiri, FFI, Thin, EventMachine, hitimes,
sqlite3, gherkin, do_sqlite3, ...) to support Windows users.

That's OK, but stop chumming this list.

> That's a symptom, the problem is the community thinking it's
> acceptable to pretend Windows is Unix.

What the hell are you talking about?  Who in the "community" is
pretending Windows is Unix?

> Next time, just acknowledge the point and state no one has any interest
> in fixing it instead of launching into the OSS party line.

Once again, what specifically is "..fixing it..." from your point of
view?

Jon