Phillip Gawlowski wrote in post #987872:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Mr Eiland <mreiland1978 / yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Roger that, send me a private email and I'll let you know how much it's
>> going to cost you to influence my behavior.
>
> What Luis meant to say is that Ruby is open source. You are free to
> spend the time and effort necessary to fix the flaws you see. This is
> generally the case if a single person moves outside of a project's
> supported build chain (which is MinGW on Windows), a choice was made
> deliberately, since Visual Studio is only free in the Express
> versions, and that cannot be bundled with a third party download, as
> is necessary to support native extension building via RubyGems.

mingw is not bundled with either Ruby Windows installer, or the rubygems
installer, making your entire point moot.  In order to build an
extension
via ruby gems, you have to:

1. install ruby
2. install ruby gems
3. install rubydevkit
4. execute a .bat or .ps1 file every single time you want to install or
update a gem that needs to be compiled.

So don't give me this bullshit about MS not allowing you to bundle 3rd
party software, they don't bundle gcc either.

> The problem you have is a result of your own choice of tools, and you
> can't expect the community to fix problems that come about because of
> your specific situation. Not unless you are willing to provide
> incentives. Incentives that go beyond threatening to take your ball
> and never, ever again use Ruby on Windows. As far as threats go, it's
> a weak one, anyway: I'm not specially bothered that you won't use Ruby
> on Windows any more, just because it doesn't work with a tool not
> supported by the community.

That's a nice story, but you missed the part where I explicitly stated I
had moved everything over to the mingw toolchain, so take your strawmen
and stuff them up your ass.

I'm not using Ruby for Windows development because the windows support
is shit, not because I have to use the mingw toolchain.  That's a
symptom, the problem is the community thinking it's acceptable to
pretend Windows is Unix.  Jackasses and fools on both sides of that
argument.  The jackasses who want to stay in unix land, even in windows,
and the fools who think windows is the only OS out there.

Next time, just acknowledge the point and state no one has any interest
in fixing it instead of launching into the OSS party line.  You'll stop
misinterpreting statements of intention as threats.