On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Mr Eiland <mreiland1978 / yahoo.com> wrote:

> Roger that, send me a private email and I'll let you know how much it's
> going to cost you to influence my behavior.

What Luis meant to say is that Ruby is open source. You are free to
spend the time and effort necessary to fix the flaws you see. This is
generally the case if a single person moves outside of a project's
supported build chain (which is MinGW on Windows), a choice was made
deliberately, since Visual Studio is only free in the Express
versions, and that cannot be bundled with a third party download, as
is necessary to support native extension building via RubyGems.

The problem you have is a result of your own choice of tools, and you
can't expect the community to fix problems that come about because of
your specific situation. Not unless you are willing to provide
incentives. Incentives that go beyond threatening to take your ball
and never, ever again use Ruby on Windows. As far as threats go, it's
a weak one, anyway: I'm not specially bothered that you won't use Ruby
on Windows any more, just because it doesn't work with a tool not
supported by the community.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,