On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Gormare Kalss <gormare / hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have this coordinate and i need to figure it out. I need to get the
> number for xxx and yyy. Is it possible to reverse this hash if I know
> parts of the string?

The whole point of hashing is that it is non-reversal. Without
brute-forcing (i.e. going through every possible permutation of
possible hash sources) it's pretty much impossible to reverse anything
hashed.

Mind, there's things like rainbow tables (for MD5, mostly), but those
"just" pre-compute the potential hashes that result from any given
input. That's why hashing makes for good checksums, and a nice way to
store passwords without really storing them (especially when a salt is
used, making rainbow tables and brute force attacks infeasible).

TL;DR: No, it's not possible to reverse a cryptographic hash.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget