It sounds to me like it has more to do with some of Ruby's design
decisions, which is something I can believe.

This will definitely be the last Ruby project I do on Windows, the Ruby
team needs to work on their windows support.  I'm a unix weenie so it's
natural for me to use the mingw toolchain, but others aren't so
fortunate.

And no, I'm not willing to put forth my time to do it, I'll just be sure
and avoid Ruby on windows from now on.  Ruby is a beautiful language,
but as far as I'm concerned it's hardly usable on Windows.