> I will finish my book and rewrite the program with a more ruby-like
> syntax. The thing is I haven't read a lot about methods and classes
> yet... guess I'll need some time to get used to Ruby too.

Methods and classes will allow you to avoid repeating the same code over and over.  (For example in your original program you do a lot of print-get-sleep.)

Code that doesn't repeat itself is shorter, easier to test, and easier to understand -- which means that it's easier to fix; much easier.

Ruby programmers talk a lot about DRY: that just means "Don't Repeat Yourself".  The golden target for any ruby programmer is never to code the same bit of code more than once, ever.  (Of course it never works out quite that way, but it's a nice goal.)