On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Shadowfirebird wrote:

>> I'd guess reasons are obvious. You have to remember not only method
>> names but also their aliases you personally do not use just for the
>> sake of understanding other's source code. It does make you not a bit
>> more
>> productive. I'd prefer to spare my memory for much more important and
>> useful things.
>
> Which would, I admit, be a fine argument.  If it were not for the
> fact that ruby method names are all so damn intuitive.  I for one
> don't have to remember anything; the names tell me roughly what the
> method does.  And there is always ri to remind me of any details.

This is why I personally do not use Hash#merge! and prefer Hash#update
even though the former seems more common in the code that I read. I'd
rather the presence of '!' be a shorthand for "Hey, I hope you're
using me on purpose!"

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn
Rob / AgileConsultingLLC.com	http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/