On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:05:13 PM UTC+1, Mayank Kohaley wrote:
>> Sorry guys totally missed it .Herr it is: http://mayankkohaley.blogspot.=
com/

> You write "The Class variable in Ruby is similar to static member variabl=
e of C++." =A0This is not true. =A0You also do not mention the particular p=
eculiarities that pop up when mixing class variables with inheritance and i=
nitialization order. =A0For a rough equivalent for static members in C++ I =
would rather choose class instance variables.

> Personally I would either not mention class variables, mention them and s=
ay "don't use them" or mention them, explain them and say "don't use them".

Yeah. I'd concur. Explain them, but go into details as to why they are
generally not a good idea, and why class instance variables are
generally a much better choice.

I'd also explain that class instance variables are _really_ just
instance variables. They aren't a special case.

Kirk Haines
Software Engineer
EngineYard