Chris Lervag wrote in post #985736:
> rob stanton wrote in post #984216:
>> I have a binary file in which I'd like to find multiple strings of  10
>> 00 10 00 (hex) amongst all the other values, then following that is a
>> name.
>>

> Sounds to me like you're trying to extract instances of Patient's Name
> from a DICOM file (to those of you who dont know, DICOM is a medical
> image format). Why don't you just use ruby-dicom? It will parse the
> DICOM file for you and give you alot of convenience methods to interact
> with the DICOM object.
>
> http://dicom.rubyforge.org/
>
> Best regards,
> Chris

Hi Chris, yes I have used ruby-dicom, it is very good at giving info for
a given dicom image, but what I wanted to do was to read the DICOMDIR
find the names and date scanned. This can be put into an excel sheet (or
open office) with names and date scanned. I thought it might be easy but
still trying to do it! Robert D helped a lot with suggestions and at the
moment just need to format the date from DICOM YYYYMMDD into a format
that's seen as a date in excel.