On Mar 6, 4:36  䮮
> RichardOnRails wrote in post #985685:
>
> > I haven't been able to get rid of those blank lines.
>
> It looks like erb comments don't support the -%> way of preventing the
> blank lines. I tried both erb and eruby command-line tools.
>
> Regular ruby comments seem OK though:
>
> <% # Example from -%>
> <% #http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/programming... -%>
> This text is <% a = 100; print "#{a}% Live!" %>
>
> BTW it's bad practice to embed print inside erb (and you'll see the
> 'erb' command line tool gives unexpected results, maybe other erb
> implementations will too). This is because you may find erb being
> assembled into a buffer and then printed at the end.
>
> Much better to use <%= ... %> to embed output. For example:
>
> This text is <% a = 100 %><%= "#{a}% Live!" %>
>
> or:
>
> This text is <%= a = 100; "#{a}% Live!" %>
>
> --

Hi Brian,

> I tried both erb and eruby command-line tools
I didn't know there was an erb command-line executable.  Thanks for
that tidbit.

> BTW it's bad practice to embed print inside erb
Yeah,  I thought that was a somewhat weird approach, but I wanted to
get some of the published examples working before I began sticking in
my 2-cents worth, aside from comments to compensate for my poor
memory :-)

I had completely run out of ideas.  Thanks for experimenting with the
"<% #" idea. I wound up with the following code (published at
http://www.pastie.org/1641092), which works perfectly IMHO:

=== Start 9 lines (no newline at end of 9th line) ====
<% # Test_eruby_01.erb %>
<% # 	K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Tests\TestEruby %>
<% # Example from  %>
<% # 	http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/programming_books/ruby_tutorial/Ruby_and_the_Web_Using_eruby.html
%>
<% # Usage:  %>
<% # 	eruby Test_eruby_01.erb %>
<% # Published:  %>
<% # 	http://www.pastie.org/1641092 %>
This text is <% a = 100; print "#{a}% Live!" %>
=== End 9 lines (4th line is split in this posting) ===

Output in Command Window (one line):
=== Start ===
K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Tests\TestEruby>eruby Test_eruby_01.erb
This text is 100% Live!
K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Tests\TestEruby>

Best wishes,
Richard