Dave Ford wrote in post #984839:
> Hello,
>
> I am a total newbie with regard to Ruby.  I am finding that the only
> version available for download is 1.9.2.

Where did you look?

> My platform is Oracle
> Enterprise Linux, which is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Then by default you'll probably get something ancient like 1.8.1 :-)

A search for "ruby rpm" gives:
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ruby

The Fedora packages might be usable, but you might have to rebuild them
from the source RPM. Last time I did this, I think there was a minor
dependency change needed (one of the X11 libs had changed its name, I'm
sorry I can't remember exactly which one)

Otherwise, you can just build from source. All the versions are
available at ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/