On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM, RichardOnRails
<RichardDummyMailbox58407 / uscomputergurus.com> wrote:

> I recognized how the gsub would affect the earlier code, but saw no
> purpose for it ... because I never heard about a % sign in the first
> column producing some special effect. Do you know where that's
> documented online?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib-1.8.6/libdoc/erb/rdoc/classes/ERB.html#M000650

See the docs for the parameter 'trim_mode':

  If trim_mode is passed a String containing one or more of the
following modifiers, ERB will adjust its code generation as listed:

      %  enables Ruby code processing for lines beginning with %
      <> omit newline for lines starting with <% and ending in %>
      >  omit newline for lines ending in %>

Regards,
Sean