Philip Rhoades wrote in post #984112:
>> If you read in all the data files and build a single Ruby data
>> structure which contains all the data you're interested in, you can
>> dump it out like this:
>>
>> File.open("foo.msh","wb") {|f|  Marshal.dump(myobj, f) }
>

> I did read up about this stuff but I have to have human readable files.

You can use YAML.dump and .load too. Not as fast, and rather buggy(*),
but it would do the job.

(*) There are various strings which ruby's default YAML implementation
(syck) cannot serialize and deserialize back to the same string. These
might have been fixed, or you could use a different YAML implementation.