On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan / gmail.com> wrote:
> The hard thing is that it has a lot of C code that changed between Ruby
> 1.8 and Ruby 1.9. It was mostly superficial changes because the macros
> changed. I'm wondering if it might be best to keep two versions: a 1.8
> version and a 1.9 version. That is where my questions start. How often
> is that done? I know the ruby debugger is split into a 1.8 version and
> a 1.9 version for example.

IMHO the best thing is to try keep it as one gem without splitting it.
You can use C macros (ifdef, ifndef, define itp) to do that. Also
think about FFI, maybe you can rewrite it from scratch? (I don't know
how big is that gem)

If you can't contact with original author I think you can use the same
name and push it to ruby rubygems (you can write about it in README
etc).

--
Pozdrawiam

Radosaw Buat